Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Shetland News

I am on the Shetland Hamefarin newsletter list and today received their latest update. http://www.shetlandhamefarin.com/hamefarin-newsletter-march-2010.pdf

In the Shetland dialect, 'hamefarin' means homecoming and it will no doubt be a memorable event, with Shetlanders from all over the world in attendance. The organizing committee has been working very hard for months. I'm going to keep following the site--2010 will be first year since 1996 that I haven't been able to visit Shetland, and it will be a little like "being there."

Everyone who has visited Shetland on my tours will remember Bess Jamieson--the talented, hard-working guardian of the Shetland Guild, and someone who has helped me immeasurably in planning the trips. I heard from Bess this week that the restoration work on the new home for the Guild at Voe House, has been delayed. Consequently, the temporary home of the Guild will be at the Bod of Gremista, former home of Arthur Andersen, founder of the P. & O. Line. The Bod of Gremista is under the aegis of the Shetland Museum.

I'm planning the next Scottish Skeins & Skerries Tour for summer 2011. Please watch my website--the details will be posted in July. I have an email list of people who have indicated they would like to come and will let you all know as soon as the itinerary and other details are available.

I'm leaving for Britain today. One thing I plan to do is to scout out sites for a tour to Wales next year. Specifically, I want to attend the 2010 version of Wonder Wool Wales which takes place later this month. I want to see if it would be an interesting stop for 2011.

Although I'll be physically away, I will endeavour to keep in touch by email. Don't forget about the limited spaces available for the trip to Italy. In my absence, you can always contact Jean Sheikh at Executive Worldwide Travel--the details are on my website.

No comments: