Friday, August 6, 2010

A slow news week

I promised myself I would post every Tuesday, but life got in the way this past week.

Earlier this week, I heard on the news that there is coastal erosion at the Fortress of Louisbourg site on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. I was concerned that this had occurred in the area which had been so carefully restored. However, apparently it isn't in the actual renovated site, where we visited last summer on the 'Maritime Memories Tours', but where they are working on the archaeological dig. (Susan, thanks for updating me on that.) It has meant increased pressure to recover whatever possible of artifacts and traces of the earlier occupations. A recent study warned that the coast could erode by about 30 metres in the next 50 to 100 years. By the way, if anyone is interested, it is possible to be a member of the fortress's volunteer program and to take part in the dig. A good reason to spend more time on Cape Breton.

I finally got an update on the Flybe service to Shetland, Orkney and the Hebrides for next year. Well, not exactly a full-blown disclosure, but a notice that Flybe would be releasing the fares and schedule for 2011 at the beginning of September, 2010. Then, I will be able to complete the information for those who've been waiting for details about the fourteenth 'Scottish Skeins & Skerries' tour scheduled for next summer.

The Piecework Blanket has also hit a bit of a stall. I did buy some very colourful flannelette for the lining, but have been just too busy to sew it on.

No comments: