Friday, August 20, 2010

This and that



I've posted several photos which I took when I was on the tour of the rooftop garden of the Royal York Hotel in Toronto. It was a great opportunity to get another perspective of the city, and to see the skyscrapers reflected against each other in their walls of glass.
I was going to take a closer photo of the beehives, but the inhabitants were buzzing around and I wasn't sure how territorial they were. I do know that the bees spend a lot of time around the lavender plants.



This week I received another newsletter from the Shetland Guild of Spinners, Weavers & Dyers. This issue was also full of their activities and a description of the temporary home of the Shetland Textile Working Museum at the Bod of Gremista in Lerwick. Their current exhibition is called "New from Old (Changes in Fashion)" and shows the evolution of textiles over the decades, reaching back to former centuries. Having seen a number of past exhibitions, I can imagine this one is another innovative display of treasured knits.

There was an amusing reference in one part of the newsletter about a journey to "Scotland"--a reminder that one doesn't dare call the residents of these islands 'Scots'. They are Shetlanders!

Update on the Piecework Blanket: I haven't worked on it for several weeks. Still just have to sew the lining to the blanket.

No comments: