Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Today is Earth Day

My family chides/teases me the way I'm so determined about recycling--I think they secretly feel I'm obsessed. Composting is not allowed in the apartment building where I currently live, so I take many bags of orange peels, egg shells, coffee grounds, etc. to a son's home, where composting is collected. (Especially necessary when I've bought a case of juice oranges.)

I don't think my kids feel that dementia is approaching as I've been recycling since the 1970s, when I used to take bottles and cans to a City of Ottawa works yard. I would wash all the cans, remove the labels and flatten them. The bottles had to be separated by three colours; clear, green and brown (I used to wish that more people in the city did that.)

I'm happy that there appears to be a heightened consciousness of looking after the environment and recycling, however, I think we still have a long way to go. Just hope it isn't too late.

No comments: