Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Shetland, Piecework, The Knitter & the Rideau Canal

Yesterday I received the January newsletter of the Shetland Spinners, Knitters, Weavers and Dyers. It was an interesting discussion of their activities since last September. There seems to be a lot more going on there than in the past. One event was the North Atlantic Native Sheep and Wool Conference which took place at the end of Wool Week. The theme was "Sustainability". Next year's event will be held in Iceland.

Shetland Wool Week 2014 is scheduled from the 04 to 12 October. Continuing on a Shetland theme: the guild book, A Legacy of Shetland Lace held top place as the highest selling book of the Shetland Times Ltd in 2013. So far, total sales of the book are 2300 copies. (Actually, I'm surprised it isn't more, considering the book's enthusiastic reception when I was on Shetland.)

I really enjoyed the Jan/Feb 2014 issue of Piecework Magazine. One of my favourite articles was by Dr. Carol Christiansen, curator of the textile collection at the Shetland Museum. Carol's article was a detailed background on the type of yarn and style of knitting in the Gunnister cap--a cooperation between archaeology and craft. Those who've come on recent Scottish Skeins & Skerries trips will recall meeting Carol. She is both informed and personable, and I'm certain I can speak for everyone that her talk to us at the Museum was very helpful in understanding the textiles in the collection. Carol will be meeting to us again on the next tour in July. Have a look at the website: www.joycejamestours.com and let me know if you have any questions or can join us. At the moment, the 2014 trip is half full.

I also got a copy of Issue 66 of The Knitter. I was delighted to learn of a new knitter, Lucy Hague of Orkney. I liked her cable designs. Another good issue. While I was attempting to copy the front cover, I read the magazine blog. Must check into that often.



Even though the current Ottawa temperature is in the minus twenties and thirties Centigrade, they are still skating on the Rideau Canal.

No comments: